Effective Date: March 29, 2019
The Virginia Center for Policing Innovation (“VCPI”, “we”, “us”, or “our”) respects your privacy and is committed to maintaining it through adherence to this Privacy Statement (this “Statement”). VCPI has developed this Statement to describe how we may collect information about you through your interactions with us, on our websites, http://vciponline.org, http://vcpitraining.org, and any mobile versions and mobile applications (collectively, the “Site”), or through your interactions with us (collectively, the “Services”), how we use information, and how and under what circumstances we share that information.
When you submit information to us or through the Site, you consent to the collection and processing of your information as described in this Privacy Statement. Please read this Statement carefully to understand our policies and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with any part of this Statement, please do not use our Site.
We may change this Privacy Statement from time to time. The “Effective Date” legend at the top of the page indicates when this Privacy Statement was last revised. Any changes will become effective when we post the revised Privacy Statement on the Site. Your continued use of the Site following these changes means that you accept the revised Privacy Statement. If we significantly change how we handle your Personal Information (defined below), we may provide more prominent notice or obtain your consent as required by law. If you do not wish to accept the changes, you should cease using the Site.
1. Children Under the Age of 13
Our Site is not intended for or targeted to children under the age of 13. VCPI will never knowingly solicit or collect personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 13 through the Site without verifiable parental consent. If we discover that a child under the age of 13 has submitted personally identifiable information without verifiable parental consent, we will delete that information.
2. Information We Collect
VCPI collects personal information about you when you voluntarily request information from VCPI or supply information through the Site, including:
- Information by which you may be personally identified, such as your name, postal and e-mail addresses, phone number, organizational affiliation, title, role, or position, billing information, course enrollment and completion history, and any other identifiable information that you choose to submit to us (“Personal Information”).
- Information about your Internet connection, IP address, the equipment and browser you use to access our Site, usage details, the domain from which you link to the site, traffic data, and information collected through cookies (“Usage Data”).
We collect Personal Information directly from you when you register for an account on the Site, e-mail us or respond to our e-mails, sign up for our trainings or our mailing list, or connect or link to the Site via social networking sites.
We also collect Usage Data automatically as you navigate through our Site. In general, we gather Usage Data about all of our users collectively, and not on an individual basis, for purposes such as determining which parts of our website users access most frequently. This Usage Data helps us determine which parts of our website are most beneficial for users, and how we can continually create a better overall experience for you. We use the Usage Data that we collect to operate, improve and personalize the Site, to provide customer service, and to detect, prevent and mitigate fraudulent or illegal activities.
3. How We Use Information
You agree that we may use your Personal Information as follows:
- to provide you with services or information that you request from us;
- to open your account, enable purchases and process payments, and communicate with you;
- to assist you with registration for classes and other events hosted by us or our associates;
- to notify you about news and opportunities that may be of interest to you;
- for security and to detect fraud or illegal activities;
- to prevent or investigate activity we think may be potentially illegal, unlawful or harmful;
- for archival and backup purposes in connection with the provision of the Services;
- to enable us to comply with the requirements of the law, including national security or law enforcement requirements, or to comply with legal process served on us;
- to protect our legal rights or property or other users;
- to better understand how you access and use the Site, for the purposes of trying to improve the Site, diagnose problems, administer our Site; and
We also use Usage Data that we collect to operate, improve and personalize the Site, to provide customer service, and to detect, prevent and mitigate fraudulent or illegal activities.
4. Disclosing Your Information to Third Parties
Any information we gather, whether voluntarily provided by you or automatically collected, may be used for our internal business purposes and disclosed to third parties, as stated below.
- Agents and Service Providers. We may share Personal Information with other trusted companies or people to perform functions for which we engage them. Examples include maintaining our Site, sending e-mail, coordinating on-site trainings with our partner agencies, managing and updating customer lists, processing transactions and payments, providing other marketing and promotional assistance, and providing other services related to the operation of our business. VCPI may also share your Personal Information with authorized persons within your organization who are responsible for coordinating, monitoring, and updating course enrollment and completion status. VCPI does not sell any Personal Information to third parties and does not provide any information obtained through the Site to third parties for direct marketing purposes.
- Legal Compliance and Protection. Notwithstanding any other statements or representations in this Statement or elsewhere on our Site, we reserve the right to disclose any information in our possession if we are required to do so by law or we believe, in good faith, that such a disclosure is necessary to comply with the law, court order or other government or law enforcement agency, defend our rights or property, prevent financial loss or physical harm, or to respond to an emergency situation or protect the rights, property or safety of others.
- Corporate Transactions. We may transfer your Personal Information to VCPI affiliates. VCPI also reserves the right to transfer Personal Information to a purchaser or successor entity in the event of a sale or other corporate transaction involving some or all of our business.
- With Your Consent. We may share your Personal Information with your consent or at your direction.
We want you to feel confident about using our Site to register with us and use our services. We implement a variety of physical, technical and administrative security measures to maintain the safety of your Personal Information. However, the security of information transmitted through the internet can never be guaranteed. We (like all websites) cannot warrant or guarantee 100% security of any information you transmit to us through the Site.
6. Managing “Do Not Track” Signals
Some browsers have a Do Not Track (“DNT”) feature that lets you tell websites that you do not want your online activities tracked. When you choose to turn on the DNT setting in your browser, your browser sends a special signal to websites, ad networks, plug-in providers, and other web services you encounter while browsing to stop tracking your activity via cookies or other tracking technologies. VCPI does not track its website users over time and across third party websites and therefore does not respond to DNT signals.
7. Third Party Links
The Site may contain links to websites maintained by third parties with which we have no affiliation. This Statement does not reflect the privacy practices of those sites, and you should consult the privacy policies of those sites to learn about their practices. A link to any third party site does not mean that we endorse it or the quality or accuracy of information presented on it.
8. Changing or Deleting Personal Data
We strive to maintain the accuracy of Personal Information collected. You can update your Personal Information through your user account portal, and if you have further questions about updating your information, we will work with you to correct any information you submitted to us upon your request. You can also contact us to find out what Personal Information we have on file about you. If you would like to delete your account, including all of your course registration and completion history, VCPI will do so upon a verified request from you. Please note that if VCPI deletes your account at your verified request, VCPI will no longer have access to your course enrollment and completion history, and you will be solely responsible for that information. If you have any questions about the Personal Information we maintain about you or would like to exercise your right to delete that information, please contact us at [email protected].
9. California Residents
If you are a California resident under 18 years old and have an account with us or have linked to us through social media, you can request that we remove content or information that you have posted to our website or other online services. Note that fulfilment of the request may not ensure complete or comprehensive removal (e.g., if the content or information has been reposted by another user). To request removal of content or information, please email us using the contact information below.
10. Contacting Us
If you have questions or comments about this Statement, please contact us at [email protected].